Everyone should know how to make a homemade pizza
In my opinion, preparing the dough is the best part, pure entertainment!
The tossing, stretching, and twisting, the kids love it!
This simple pizza dough recipe is super easy and perfect for first-time pizza bakers. If you enjoy pizza than you will love this recipe!
The combination of manageable ingredients will have you flipping your own pizzas for family pizza night.
Adding all your choice of toppings, herbs, and sauces will make this your personal pizza.
Every pizza begins with a nice crust; so why not add your own touch? First off, you must understand the basics; once you know the basics, you then can incorporate your own flavors.
You just need a little confidence! Let’s start making some pizza dough!
Add your favorite toppings! Never weigh your pizza down with toppings; overloading your pizza can cause a soggy-uncooked pizza.
- Toppings that you may enjoy:
- Tofu Mozzarella
- New Living Cashew Cheese
- Grilled or Sauteed’Vegetables
- Beefless Beef
- Caramelized Onions and Peppers
- Vegan (Bacon) Tempeh
- Grilled Pineapples
Simple Pizza Dough Recipe
Tag me #newlivingpizza
I would love to see your pizza!
Post and tag a photo of your vegan pizza on
Instagram or Facebook, include the tag #newlivigpizza.
I can’t wait to see your creation!
- 1 cup of warm water
- 1 tsp. brown sugar (or white)
- 1 tbsp. cornstarch
- 1 ¼ -oz. packet active dry yeast
- 3 tbsp. extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tsp. of vegan butter ( I recommend Miyoko’s European-style Vegan Butter)
- 1tbs. nutritional yeast
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 ½ cups all-purpose flour, plus extra for dusting (flour of your choice)
- 1 tsp. sea salt
Garnish your pizza with dried oregano
Let's makes some dough!
- First, preheat the oven to 480°F. Next, combine 1/4 cup warm water and sugar in a small bowl. Let the sugar dissolve.
- Sprinkle the yeast onto the surface of the water; the yeast will need to set for 2 minutes on top of the water. After 2 minutes, stir the yeast and let it sit for another 10 minutes.
*Note: You should notice tiny bubbles; if the yeast is outdated or inactive you will not see bubbles.
- After 10 minutes, pour the yeast mixture into a large bowl with the leftover warm water. Pour in olive oil, add flour, and salt into the mixture. With a wooden spoon or your hands, mix the dough completely. While stirring, form the dough into a ball.
- Once your ball is formed, sprinkle additional flour onto a clean, dry surface. Lay your dough on the lightly floured surface and knead the dough for 15- 20 minutes.
*Note: Kneading the dough provides both strength and structure to the dough. You will need to knead until the dough attains a smooth and elastic texture.Read, the science behind kneading.
- Now, coat the interior of a large glass, or ceramic bowl, with extra virgin olive oil. It’s important to press the ball of dough into the bottom of the bowl. Turn the dough over so the oiled side is on top.
- Cover the glass bowl with plastic wrap. Place a warm, clean kitchen towel over the plastic wrap and bowl. Make sure you cover the bowl completely! Set the bowl on your preheated oven or in a warm temperature area. Let the dough rise until it has doubled in size.
- It’s now time to cut the dough into two equal parts. Once divided, delicately roll your dough onto lightly floured parchment paper. Gently, stretch the dough and shape into a ball.
*Note: Adding flour while shaping makes it a bit easier to form.
- Prepare your baking tray: You can use a steel baking tray or baking stone.
Placing parchment paper on top of your baking tray is an option. Brush your tray (or paper) with a small amount of vegan butter and sprinkle with nutritional yeast and cornmeal. If you use parchment paper eliminate adding cornmeal bottom of your crust.
- Take the pizza dough, place and form it into a 10-12 -inch circle onto your tray. You can use a rolling pin, or use your hands (using your hands is the best method). Once formed, with a fork, make small holes in the dough (not the crust area) this method helps prevent big air bubbles during the baking process. Remember, only poke holes all over the portion of the dough that will hold the toppings. Place into the oven, center of the oven rack, and bake for 5 minutes. After 5-10 minutes (prebaking time depends on your oven). Once preheated, remove.
*Note Heating and/or cooking your sauce and toppings, before adding to the crust, create a savory flavor. Let your sauces and toppings cool before adding to your preheated crust. Combine, additional vegan butter and minced garlic for crust coat. Mix thoroughly.
- Brush the pizza crust with the garlic butter sauce. Top off the pizza dough with your favorite sauce, vegan cheese, and your favorite toppings! Bake the pizza for an additional 10-15 minutes. Bake until the crust is golden brown, be careful not to burn the crust. Remove from the oven and let your pizza cool before removing.
*Note: freeze the pizza dough by penetrating it down once it has risen, place it in a zip-top bag or plastic wrap and freeze it.
Jessica is a rising new face of vegan culinary cuisine who takes pride in her craft as a recipe designer and holistic lifestyle educator. New Living encouraging others to shift towards a wholesome lifestyle; in addition, cultivating the common mindset into understanding that healthy living is a lifelong process, not just a diet plan.