Recent studies have shown that milk can not only add stress to the body but has serious health effects. Lactose intolerance percentages are through the roof, more than a quarter of the world’s population is lactose intolerant. (review Lactose Intolerance by Ethnicity and Region here), Read more on why you should stop drinking milk
Almond milk is naturally lactose-free, containing no fat and low in calories. Although Almond milk lacks calcium and vitamin D, there are other ways of obtaining such valuable nutrients.
There are a few environmental concerns.
Almonds alone use about 10 percent of California’s total water supply each year. That’s nuts. But almonds are also the state’s most lucrative exported agricultural product, with California producing 80 percent of the world’s supply.
Experience the nutty, creamy flavor of homemade almond milk. Save money and make your own Almond Milk. Almond milk is a very versatile, fantastic milk substitute for— Lactose Intolerance substitute.
Ways to substitute dairy milk for almond milk
You will need:
1. First, you will need to soak the almonds overnight. Drain rinse and change the water, soak for another 5- 8 hours. Drain almonds for a second time.
2. After soaking, transfer your almonds to the blender, add purified water to the almonds into the blender. For example, 1 cup of soaked nuts to 3 cups of water.
3. Blend thoroughly. You can prepare thin or thick milk; use less water for a thicker outcome. Blend for about 3-4 minutes; you will notice the almonds breaking down into the meal. Result: a very fine meal, and the water should be an off-white color
5. Gently press, you will notice the almond milk extracting from the almond meal. Gather the cloth around the almond mixture and turn, squeezing and press at the same time. Obtain as much almond milk as possible.
6. The last step, sweeten to taste. You can add agave, brown sugar, vanilla, or any of your favorite sweeteners. Have fun, and play around in the kitchen.
Store the milk in a glass container with tightly sealing lids.
Keep for about 4 days.
How did your Almond Milk turn out?