So you can’t stay away from the cheese? Well, you are about to prepare the best, vegan cheese ever! This cashew cheese recipe is cream delicious and rich in taste.
Cashew cheese is the go-to non-dairy cheese alternative, especially if you want to cut out that heavy gas feeling–that bloated feeling. Believe it or not, there are a variety of recipes for non-dairy cheese; try this easy recipe.
NON-DAIRY Cashew Cheese
You will need:
- 1-2 cups of cashews
- ½ tablespoon of Caribbean jerk seasoning (any seasoning you prefer).
- 1-2 fresh garlic cloves
- 1 fresh onion (chopped)
- Himalayan salt (to taste)
- 1-2 teaspoons of white pepper,
- 1 fresh red pepper (chopped)
- ½ tablespoon of Caribbean jerk seasoning
- 1-1/2 cup of soy milk (water or any other milk alternative)
- 2-3 tablespoons of nutritional yeast.
- 1 lemon—1-2 teaspoons lemon juice
Let’s make some cheese!
- Place your cashews in a bowl of cool water, add a ½ tablespoon of Caribbean jerk seasoning (any seasoning you prefer).
- Next, cover cashews and set in the refrigerator for 24 hours.
Why do we soak the cashews? Soaking the cashews softens and adds flavor to the shell. You can also boil your cashews; is a quick process. The goal is to soften cashews.
- After 24 hours, drain cashews thoroughly and pour into the food processor or blender; keep the excess (drained) juices.
- Cheese Seasoning Mix: In a small bowl combine fresh garlic cloves, fresh onion, Himalayan salt, white pepper, fresh red peppers, Caribbean jerk seasoning and, reserved cashew juices. Blend thoroughly.
- Combine: cashews, excess juices, and seasoning mix. Pour into your blender and blend (1-2 min. blitz.)
- Add soy milk (water or any other milk alternative), nutritional yeast. Blend until you notice a smooth, cream-like, and soft queso texture. Heat a small saucepan, over medium-high heat, pour in your mixture. Taste the cheese and/or add lemon, to balance the flavor and/or any another seasoning.
Why heat? When you are cooking a sauce, the moisture is released in the form of steam, this process causes the ingredients thickening and helps in intensifying the flavors.
Add fresh herbs: maximum the flavor, add in a dash of cilantro and oregano.
Hint: Experiment with thyme, sage, parsley, or basil. Combine last, if you add to early the herbs will lose their fresh flavor and bright color.
Storage: Cashew cheese will keep for up to 6 days in an airtight container in the fridge.
You may also enjoy
Jessica is a rising new face of vegan culinary cuisine who takes pride in her craft as a recipe designer and holistic lifestyle educator. New Living encouraging others to shift towards a wholesome lifestyle; in addition, cultivating the common mindset into understanding that healthy living is a lifelong process, not just a diet plan.