8-Minute Southern Air-Fried (Hand) Black Cherry Apple Pie
Put your air fryer to work. Try these amazing apple turnovers; they are packed with a delicious apple-cinnamon and black cherry mixture. The perfect breakfast or snack.
Fruit Filling Ingredients:
- 1/2 cup coconut oil (or butter substitution)
- 2-3 cups fresh chopped apples
- 1/2 cup frozen black cherries (or fruit of your choice)
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
Homemade Dough Ingredients:
- 2-3 cups unbleached white flour
- 1/2 cup cold coconut (or butter substitution)
- 2 tablespoons agave or honey
- 1 egg yolk substitution
- 1/2-1 cup ice-cold water
- 2 tbsp additional coconut oil set aside for cooking
- 2 tbsp additional brown sugar set aside for dusting
Fruit Filling Instructions
In a medium-sized saucepan, combine in coconut oil (or butter substitution), chopped apples, cherries (of your choice), brown sugar, and cinnamon. Cook the fruit filling on medium-high for 10 minutes. Sprinkle in the nutmeg; lower the temperature of the fruit filling and cook for an additional 5 minutes. Gently stir while cooking, combine all ingredients evenly.
Homemade Crust Instructions
- In a large mixing bowl, cut the coconut or butter in the flour.
- Add in the agave, egg yolk substitution, and cold-ice water; stir until the dough is sticky. Transfer the sticky dough onto a floured surface; sprinkle additional flour over the top of the sticky dough, fold, and handwork the dough until it’s reached a smoother consistency. Roll out all the dough; with a round cutter or bowl, cut out 5-7 rounds of dough. Each circle should be at least 1/4 thick. Brush each round with a little flour.
Spoon about two tablespoons of fruit filling into the center of each floured rounds of dough. Wet your fingertips before folding; moistened the edges of the dough and carefully fold over to the opposite side. Press edges with the tines of a fork, sealing the edges. Place all the pies onto a large plate and refrigerate for 20 minutes.
- Spray the basket of an air fryer with cooking spray. Brush the tops of 2 pies with coconut oil and transfer pies to the air fryer basket using a spatula.
Set the temperature to 385 degrees F (195 degrees C). Bake until golden brown, about 8 minutes. Remove pies from the basket and repeat with the leftover pies. Removed cooked pies from the air fryer and sprinkle a little brown sugar and fruit sauce over top of the pies.
Make a Glaze
- You can mix powdered sugar and milk alternative in a small bowl; brush the glaze on the warm pies. Serve pies warm or cold. They are delicious either way.
Egg Yolk Subsitution
Bananas, applesauce, and non-dairy yogurt all work for this method. For baked goods, such as cookies and cakes, substitute about two tablespoons of white or apple cider vinegar and an extra one-half teaspoon of baking powder for the egg yolks.